Jeff

So there’s been some problems with the animation tool from the start. Something to do with the initial keyframe, it was basically requiring all the art to be unkeyframed (so everything at 100% Scale, 100% Opacity, etc.) on the first frame so that it has something to interpolate between from the first frame and the second frame (where the settings for the art would be 0% Opacities and weird Scales, etc.). We’ve been duct-taping around the problem and it was working for the most part, but we got it narrowed down to one impossible bug where if we didn’t show the first frame, it couldn’t interpolate, but if we showed the first frame, you get all the art blinking on-screen for a split second.

So I bugged the original programmer of the tool to take a look at it and he was able to figure out the problem and miraculously fix it! Derek and I spent some time today testing out various keyframing setups to make sure everything was working and it looks like it’s working SWIMMINGLY. :)

The good news is now that the tool works, progress should speed up dramatically. We couldn’t make a lot of progress on the programming side so we’re a couple weeks behind where I’d hoped to be, but now that it works things should be as quick and “drag & drop” as I was hoping from the start. I expect to be able to put up videos and stuff more often now!

The bad news is that I have to undo all the duct-tape I put in the animation files haha I basically have to go through all of them for all systems and fix them up to work properly. Not a big deal, it’s just grunt-work and I know exactly what to do but it means I’ll be staring at keyframes and coordinates for a couple days haha It’ll be worth it in the end though!

- Quickdraw

« »